There are some pretty useful tips that will help you save a surprisingly large amount of money on your energy bill:
- Install Insulation in the loft, this will help prevent heat escaping up through the top of your property (ideally 100% natural sheep wool)
- Shower – don’t bath! Baths tend to use a huge amount of hot water compared to a shower
- Insulate your hot water cylinder. If you have a hot water tank in your house, it is worth a trip down to the local DIY store to pick up a jacket to help limit heat loss.
- Open windows instead of using the extractor fan – no electricity used, no cost!
- Take advantage of solar gain in the winter to keep your house warm (keep curtains open in daytime – maximise direct light entering the house)
- Use microwaves to reheat food as opposed to the oven – they heat up the food far quicker so are therefore more efficient.
- If you do use a dryer – clean the lint filter after every couple of uses – this will help it run more efficiently helping to save electricity
- Don’t leave your computer in standby – turn it off at the end of each day
- Unplug your phone from the charger (and the charger from the wall) when your phone is fully charged
- If you have tile floors that get cold in the winter, cover the floor with a rug so your toes are kept nice and toasty warm!
- Stop washing up! Make sure you use the dishwasher - these use far less water than washing by hand.
- Avoid opening the fridge or freezer to browse – every time you do, the appliance will need to fire up to cool down the air again
- Fall in love! Move in with your partner – save on heating and electricity!
- Dim your smart phone, it will use less energy so you won’t need to charge it so frequently (especially important if you have an iphone!)
Cost Centre Services can help you save a vast amount of money on your energy and water bills. Feel free to give us a call: 0345 450 1446.